Saturday, April 23, 2011

9 Month Update

These updates seem to get harder to write with each month’s passing.

I don’t know if it is because I don’t want to face the fact that my year here is almost finished, if I have just gotten used to being here, if I am taking less pictures, forgetting more and having a hard time separating the months, or if I am just lazier. Maybe it is a combination!

Well, this past month has been filled with a lot of fun and also a lot of sadness. I’ll talk about the good first Smile

My birthday!

IMG_8057

I think this is the first year that I have actually “worked” on my birthday. I take that as a true sign of adulthood. It was a really great birthday too and I am glad I got to celebrate with the residents and my co-workers. I woke up to a breakfast of my favorite foods from Stephanie, a beautiful birthday banner and a visit from this little guy! You may remember him from  here or here. (Ignore how sleepy I look, it had been a long night before, but more on that later)

IMG_8035

DSC00791DSC00790Then Steph and Kallie surprised me with these incredible and forever to be treasured books. My love language is words and they so kindly put together a book of notes and letters from people I love and care about…one from the residents and my friends here at the Dale House, and another with notes from my friends back home! It was so sweet and thoughtful! I absolutely love it!

DSC00787

 

DSC00789<----My primary, S, then surprised me with this beautiful flower arrangement that she had designed! It was so special to have something from her that she had worked on for me!

Allan then threw in a HUGE surprise! ---->

I am so excited to go!

 

 

Bowling!

Now, I am not a bowler, which is why I am using this time to brag about my one good roll in all of my 24 years! I got a strike! It really was a highlight of the month!

IMG_8067

Timber!

Now, let me paint you the scene. It is April 2nd around 11:30. All the girls, except for my primary, S, are in girl’s residence sleeping. The wind is howling. There is a huge banging noise because a tree keeps slamming against the house. The vent slats keep knocking, and I cannot sleep because it is so scary (and I am like my mother and since my primary wasn’t home, I wasn’t sleeping). My primary was supposed to get off work at 11pm. She called and said she had to stay a little later and could get a ride home. At 1 am, she was still not home, the wind was still brutal, and I was still not sleeping. I decided to call her work. I wasn’t expecting them to answer, but they did and her boss told me she had been done working for a while but was waiting on her ride. I asked to speak to S, and she said she would be leaving in 10 minutes. That would mean she would get home at 1:30. I said okay and tried to close my eyes and rest until she got home.

Well at 2 am I woke up to a terrible BANG. The floor shook and scared me and Stephanie to death.

I got a text message from a resident living in the transition apartments (which are above girl’s residence) that informed me what the unknown BANG was…a HUGE tree that really could have done some damage.He was texting me to make sure we were all alright. Isn’t that nice? The Lord was really watching out for us here. See that little porch? That’s girl’s residence. See the two windows? That is where one girl sleeps. Seriously protection. Thank you Jesus!

IMG_8014

The only damage done to the house was this little corner! WOW!

IMG_8017

After calming back down a little bit, I then realized that S still wasn’t home. Oh man.

I called her work again to find out that she had left a little bit ago. Around 3 a.m. she finally arrived home. I was so mad, worried, and frustrated but most of all I was just relieved that she was okay and home finally. We’d have a lot to talk about the next day!

The Run-away

One of the hardest parts of working at the DHP is that you invest your life and love into these kids. You really see potential in them and frustration grows out of them not being able to realize their worth and value in the sight of the Lord.

That is how I felt with my primary, S. (the same one as above). She is so fantastic. She is talented and kind.

She also has a terrible life, a struggle with alcohol, sex, and other battles everyday in her mind.

She decided she didn’t want to fight them anymore.

Two Sunday nights ago I got a text message from her mentor asking if I knew what was up with S. I had been sick all weekend with strep throat so I hadn’t really talked to anyone about any of the residents.

I thought she was doing good though.  The week before, we had talked about what she was struggling with and how we could help her. She seemed to be doing better, being honest, and admitting she was struggling…all signs of improvement.

Well, I was wrong.

Later that night, I found out that S had just had enough. She left the house before family night dinner.

I didn’t get to say good-bye. I didn’t get to try to talk her into staying. I didn’t get to tell her that I loved her and didn’t want her to make these decisions. I didn’t get to tell her she was worth more than drugs, alcohol, boys, and these other things that she is a slave too.

I miss her a lot. It’s hard to invest in a kid and then see them leave. She is so fantastic. She is a child of God. I pray I get to see her before I leave the Springs. Please keep her in your thoughts. Pray that she is safe. Pray that she knows she is loved. Pray that she can discover her value and the love of God.

Changes

Last week in Core meeting, we got BIG news. The biggest in 15 years.

One of the most amazingly talented, kind, wonderfully wise permanent staff members is leaving and taking a job at the military base here in the Springs.

She wept as she told us. The training staff was silent. The room really felt stiff.

I was just so shocked. My first thoughts were just complete amazement and disbelief.

How could the DHP go on without her? She helps us out so much here! She really knows the answers to everything and is just so wise and loving in her interactions with the residents. My brother then reminded me that the Lord is in control. He knew this was coming and he has a plan for the DHP. It was a good reminder for me. The DHP is not George’s place, or Kevin’s place or Anne’s place (or other permanent staff’s place). It is THE LORD’s PLACE. I really do feel like this place is a sanctuary for the Lord and He has special concern for it.

It is hard for me to trust Him in situation’s like these, but I know he is faithful.

I am so grateful that I got to work under this amazing woman. I have learned so much and feel like I could watch her and learn for her for years and years. She is talented, blessed, and awesome.

She will be missed.

DSC09945

The Final Month

As I start this last month, I ask for continued prayer:

-that I won’t get lazy and I can finish strong here

-for really holy times with the residents for me to show them how much they mean to me and how they have changed my life.

-for really rich times with my friends here and that we can enjoy each other’s company well

I CANNOT believe how fast this year has gone. I still have so much to learn!!! It is just really amazing to think back to how I got here, how the Lord really provided this year for me, how he has challenged me, grown me, encouraged me, blessed me.

IMG_8059

Oh I wish each of you could come here and meet my DHP family.

IMG_8060

I leave you with this verse to encourage both you and me in this last month!

Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and
destitute. Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.
—Psalm 82:3-4

IMG_8040

1 comment:

  1. We do so wish we could come and meet your DHP family. Sad we have not made it to the Springs.We are so thankful for your "family" at the DHP and what a blessing they have been.
    We love you, Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete