Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Folklore Day!

Folklore day is a BIG deal. “Champas” (straw hut-type things, pictured below) are built to represent each people group from Honduras, mothers make LOTS of food to represent each people group from Honduras, students wear costumes to represent each people group, and an “India Bonita” princess is chosen from a group of girls who wear a dress that represents one of the people groups from Honduras.

DSC02026 (My class's champa)


DSC02005My parents were lucky enough to have arrived in Copan the day before this day! We took them on their first “moto-taxi” ride up to the school and just had a great time introducing them to Mayatan, to our students, to some Honduran culture, and Honduran food.





DSC02014 My students had colored clowns and decorated the door to welcome my parents to Honduras!







DSC02047Aren’t they so cute in their little traditional clothing? I love these kiddos!







DSC02069

Every year, a panel of judges chooses an “India Bonita” for the year based on their costumes. A girl is selected from every class and makes an outfit to represent a different people group of Honduras. They were crazy elaborate dresses that I could never dream of making—complete with seeds, feathers, and paintings!)

It was a great day for my parents to get to be here! They didn’t have to watch me teach, but could still meet my students and really get a good taste of Honduran culture all in one!

1 comment:

  1. Abby, you're so cute. I miss you. (The pic of you with your class prompted this comment). I want to squeeze you really, really tight. I love you seester.

    ReplyDelete