Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother’s Daughter

Working at the DHP has taught me a lot, one of the most important being how important family is and the huge impact and influence it has on a person.

I can honestly say that is the truth. Almost daily I catch myself doing something just like my mama.

I use coupons now (when she sends them to me, of course)

I can’t sleep unless all the girls are home and asleep in girl’s residence.

I read people’s blogs that I barely know.

I take naps on the couch after work.

I talk on the phone in the bathroom (maybe she just does this with me? Sorry for sharing the secret…)

My car is messy.

I like to tell people what the food is that they are looking at before we eat it.

etc.

etc.

etc.

Not only did I learn these things mentioned above from my mom…she also taught me about Jesus, and others, and how those two go together.

She’s the reason I love hurting kids. She’s the reason I want pregnant teen mom’s to have diapers, and formula, and support. She’s the reason I am saddened when children are not taken care of. She’s the reason I like the “inner-city.” She’s the reason I want people to know the hope of Jesus.

because that is how she raised me. She put me first so that I would know to put others first. She took us to her work so we could see the hurting people she was helping. She entertained and cooked for all of my friends and made them feel welcome so I could learn hospitality. She gave me a safe place to live so I could feel secure. She washed all my clothes so I could feel clean and cared for. She fixed all my lunches in school so I could be nourished. She waited up for me to come home so I could know I was important to her and it mattered where I was. She took me shopping so I could feel pretty. She came to events as my school so I could feel supported. She prayed with me so I could learn to pray. She took my to church so I could learn about Jesus. She modeled Christ to me in the home so I could learn how to model Christ to others.

I am thankful for my mom today and the woman she is and the way she constantly pours herself out for her kids.

It amazes me when the residents never hear from their mom. I have met around 6-7 of the 40+ residents that have lived at the DHP since I started working her. 6 or 7 out of 40? And of those 6-7, I have only seen them 1 or 2 times at the house. They just don’t care, and it breaks my heart. No wonder these kids live at the DHP. I cannot imagine what it is like to be one of the residents. I know if I have a bad day or need to cry, talk, complain, vent, anything…I can call my mom and she is guaranteed to answer, with a smile, ready to talk regardless of what she has going on. I have seen kids call and call and call their moms with no answer.

I wish they all could have my mom.

I could write so much more about my mom and the way she loves the kids at the DHP because I love them, the way she continues to support me and help me financially, the way she loves her grandkids so much, the way she gets excited every year for our beach trip because we will all be together, the way she cooks and cook and cooks for Christmas so we can relax and feel cared for, the way she still tells me every time we talk that she is praying for me, the way she….

Thanks for loving me so well Mama! I love you!

DSC02613

1 comment:

  1. Ahh..Abby. I am so blessed to have the privilege of being your mom.(and Drew and Blake's mom :)
    "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth.3John 1:4.
    Thank you. You were so missed today. You are so loved!!!

    ReplyDelete