Monday, January 24, 2011

They have dreams too…

In honor of the recent Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, we dedicated a family night to celebrating him and the amazing life he had. We watched a video about him and afterwards asked each of the residents to complete their very own “I have a dream” speech. I wanted to share some excerpts from one of the residents speech.

I have a dream that one day I will view myself the way God views me. I have a dream that everyone will feel like they are worthy of love. I have a dream that no child will go without parents, that moms will stay and dads will never go away. I have a dream that no one will be homeless, that everyone will have a home, a safe place to be. I have a dream that one day hate will be non-existent, that people won’t cause each other pain and when the words I love you are spoken, they are not said in vain.”

I often am blinded by the bad attitude and hard face that these residents put on. I forget that underneath all that, they are just a regular kid, whose been through a pile of tough stuff in their life. I forget that they don’t particularly enjoy the chaos in their lives. I forget that maybe they want something different for themselves, but just don’t know how to achieve that. I forget that they, too, have dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment