Monday, February 1, 2010

Learning how to read

One of the first people I remember seeing in Honduras was this little boy selling jewelry on the street. He looked to about 10-12 years old. I felt so bad telling him no. He looked poor. He was young. But I still didn’t want to buy anything from him.

Well, about 4 months later, this little boy, Jose, showed up at my house with my roommate Sierra and her boyfriend. Jose is really good friends with her boyfriend and lives at his house with him because Jose’s family lives in an aldea (village) about 30 minutes out of town. Jose works making and selling jewelry to tourists and send all the money back to his family. He is 14 years old.

Recently, Sierra found out the Jose does not know how to read. He asked me to read a text message to him the other day. I thought “that’s weird” but then quickly remember that he doesn’t know how to read. What a thing I take for granted…to know how to read! Sierra decided to teach Jose how to read…and it has been so cool for me to get to watch!

Just last week, he wrote it name for the first time. He was SO proud! Just thinking about it now gives me the goose-bumps! I almost cried when I saw it. He is learning his alphabet and is just loving it. He is eager to learn. I am so thankful for Sierra and her willingness to help Jose. Its so cool.IMG_0393

I would love for y’all to pray for Jose. He is at my house a lot and I want to be able to love this little boy like Jesus would. He is not completely an orphan, but almost and I want to be able to stand behind one of my favorite verses in the Bible in a literal way.  James 1:27 “ A religion that is pure and stainless according to God the Father is this: to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering, and to keep oneself unstained by the world.”

Jose just told me today that he cannot sell jewelry on the streets anymore. They are starting to charge 600 lempiras (30 dollars) and he cannot afford that. He also told me that he would like to go to school. :) So cool.

1 comment:

  1. My heart is so touched for Jose. I will definitely be praying for him. What a sweet story. We are so blessed in the USA and take so much for granted. I am certain you will be able to love Jose well.
    God,in His divine providence has put Jose in your path.
    What can we bring Jose when we come??
    Let me know.
    Love you, MOM

    ReplyDelete