Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thankfulness

1 Thessalonians 5:18

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

DSC00407

A few weeks ago, I did my devo on being able to praise God through things and seeing his hand in the inner workings of our lives. I felt like the Lord had really been tugging on my heart, trying to get to me to see his goodness in all the crappy things that happen to these residents and just in life in general. I had my co-workers write things where they had seen God work on little squares of paper and tape them to this canvas I had painted. It was cool for me to read them and realize just how much the Lord is working here.

I have still been thinking about that devo I did and trying to see the Lord more. Today, Ted’s devo took my thoughts a little deeper. It was really awesome.

I was super challenged by Ted’s devo. I love listening to Ted talk. He is just so passionate, genuine, and wise. I always feel encouraged and challenged by him. Today he read the verse above (1 Thessalonians 5:18). He discussed how giving thanks is God’s will for our lives. I thought that was just crazy. I often think that “doing this, or doing that” is God’s will for my life, or often pray “God, show me your will for my life,” but there it is laid out plainly in scripture: giving thanks in all circumstances is God’s will for my life.

Ted went on to talk about how being thankful in circumstances, regardless of what they might be, can really help the outlook and the attitude of the situation. Even if we are not thankful for the circumstance, we should be thankful in the circumstance. He also talked about how he wants his thankfulness to come from the Lord, not from himself. I often find myself being thankful for something because that’s how I was raised—not because my inner thankfulness is from God—or because there is something obvious that I need to be thankful for. However, I want my thankfulness to be inner and to come from the Lord regardless of the situation.

I think if I could really practice being thankful in all circumstances that my life would be totally different. I could see the good instead of the bad or the Lord instead of the trial.

That’s something I am praying for myself: that I would be able to be genuinely thankful in the circumstances that the Lord puts in my life. I pray that for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment