Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mother of all Mothers

DSC00549

I really have the best mother ever. I feel lucky that I have had the chance to grow up under her love and guidance. I really hope that I can be a mother like she is a mother. The mother of all mothers.

I have recently been made super aware of how blessed I truly am. You hear about bad dads and neglectful fathers, but it is amazing the sort of mothers my primaries have grown up with.

One’s mother did and sold drugs throughout the country as he was a child. He didn’t go to school because he was in the back of a car driving drugs from FL to CO. He was eventually adopted at age 7, but his adopted mom doesn’t come by the DHP to see him, doesn’t call to check on him, doesn’t answer his calls. His biological mom is a meth addict. She is basically homeless. She doesn’t care about him, but his money and how she can use him. He texted me the other night on his new cellphone “goodnight mom.” It breaks my heart that he says that because I am no where close to his mom, but he doesn’t have a better example.

Another one of my primaries’ mothers did all sorts of drugs during her pregnancy. Then she delivered her and hated her from the start. She sold her into prostitution around the age of 6, she would set her and her sister outside in the cold so she could have sex with men inside the house. She poisoned her with different substances and my primary still suffers enormous stomach pains due to this. He mother is still on drugs and my primary wants nothing to do with her and cannot even stand the thought of being like her mother.

My final primary is so confusing that I am not even sure much about her mother. Her parents were divorced when she was young. She doesn’t hear from her biological mother. Her adopted mother has come to see her two times in 5 months. She tells my primary that her younger brother doesn’t want to see her because he is afraid of her.

See what I mean? Its insane how blessed I am. My mother always answers my calls. She always happily takes a break to talk to me. She came to visit me even when I was in a different country. She would do anything for me…and for the people I care about, which is where the pictures come in. My mother sent me such an amazing package, with super thoughtful items for me. She also sent gifts for my roommates, the secretary, and my primaries.

She spent her time (and talents!) to sew them pillow cases with their names on them and included a note. You should have seen their faces when I gave it to them on Valentine’s Day. One girl re-read the note like it was her favorite book. I so often take these notes for granted, but they have not had a mom to write them love notes. Oh man. It made me sad for them that they have not had the chance to be showered with love from a mother, but I was also thankful that I could share my mother’s love with them.

Thanks for loving me mom, and thanks for loving those I love. 

DSC00551

1 comment:

  1. Abby, I am so touched by your sweet words...I am the blessed one to have you as my daughter -a gift in my arms for sure!! Thank you for loving me unconditionally. I LOVE BEING YOUR MOM!!!

    ReplyDelete