Monday, June 7, 2010

Dia del Arbol

What do you get when you combine Tree Day, 150 students (all with plants of some type), and 30 minutes?

CHAOS.

AKA Dia del Arbol at Mayatan.

 DSC09290

To celebrate Dia Del Arbol, Mayatan asked that each student bring in some type of tree or plant to plant in the ground in Mayatan’s campus. We were allotted a 30 minute time slot to achieve this. Needless to say, it was quite a failure. I think we got 3 trees planted in my group (due to my lack of skills with the 5 foot long heavy iron rod that they gave me to use to dig holes. I don’t know about you, but I always had a personal hand held shovel to help my mom plant pansies and this iron rod thing was new for me.) But hey, three out of 25 isn’t that bad, right?

I like the idea behind it though. It helps get the kids excited about the Earth (at least for a day!). But then, I am afraid, it is back to throwing trash out of bus windows. Oh man.

  DSC09291

No comments:

Post a Comment