Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone is having an amazing Thanksgiving. Abby and the rest of the foreign teachers left for Antigua, Guatemala yesterday, but I'm still in Copan because I don't leave until tomorrow afternoon for the great U.S. of A. It's strange to be here basically by myself, but it has also been good because I have quite a few things to prepare before departing.

Last night, after tutoring Miguelito in English, his family and I went over to Elisa's (the girl who Abby usually tutors) house because she was having her birthday party. It was a lot of fun. I talked the most with the grandfather of the family mainly about fruit and politics as we were continually brought Cokes and plate after plate of food.

After the presents but before the cake, we all sang "Feliz CumpleaƱos". Well, we sang several birthday songs in several languages including the emergent creole they call Spanglish; one of which was "Sapo Verde to You". This literally means "green toad to you", but they sing it to the tune of "Happy Birthday" because that's apparently what the English words sound like to Hondurans. Then, Miguelito's dad, Miguel (there are at least 5 Miguels in their immediate family), and I took on the boys in a little game of futbol, the All-Honduran pastime. We played until about 10PM, but we fell defeated to the youngsters because we were badly outnumbered, 'm not the goalie that I once was, and these people live for the sport.

Today, the missionaries Bill and Mary have invited me and a few other people to have a Thanksgiving lunch at their house, so I'm headed off to that. These people are so amazing. Because of them, I won't be eating celebrating Thanksgiving in a comedor by myself. This day has been great to reflect on all the blessings that surround me daily, such as Abby, absence of loneliness, support from my family, and the means to accomplish anything I've been called to do.

I'm sorry I'm not able to post any new pictures from our recent adventures including a trip to Esquipulas, Guatemala because Abby left with her camera that has them all. However, I promise we'll make a media-rich post next week though. I appreciate all of you. Thanks for your prayers and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment