Thursday, September 3, 2009

classes, cows, y cumpleanos

Happy birthday Allan!
Allan turned 23 yesterday and we got to semi-celebrate with all the Mayatan teachers. The restaurant even brought him a brownie with ice-cream (best in Copan!), candles in the shapes of 23 and a Carolina blue balloon!



We are almost done with our first FULL week of classes! WHOA. After having school canceled for 3 days straight last week, we didn't really know what to expect from the kids again this Monday. It has been a tough week. I am really struggling getting my kids to understand what I am saying. Right now, they do not understand a lot of English, which makes it really hard to communicate anything (lessons, rules, requests, etc.) I am having to use a lot of Spanish, which is good for me cause I want to learn Spanish, but also frustrating because I do not know that much Spanish so I cannot completely convey what I am trying to say.

I know the kids must be frustrated too. I know it is hard to go to school and not understand what your teacher is saying. I remember being really annoyed in Spain because I couldn't understand my teacher and I was in college. I am trying to cut them some slack, but it is hard.

There are good times though and the kids are really cute. They make me laugh a lot because they continue to talk to me in Spanish and I always say "No entiendo (I don't understand)" and they give me the saddest, end-of-the-world-must-be-near face, and then try to say something is English, which I also cannot understand. Reminds me of how my Spanish must sound to them! Also, they always have to go to the bathroom. My favorite part of teaching, though, is that each and every single kid wants to show me their work. They want to tell me the instant they finish their work that they are done with their work and they want to show me! Its so cute. They are so proud of what they have accomplished and want their teacher to notice it! I have some really talented artists and intelligent kids in my class. I am excited to be able to look back on the year and see how they progress (hopefully!!)

Below is a picture of my class (minus 2 students) in front of our classroom. They love having their picture taken and were all ready to offer their best smiles. In our picasa photostream to the left you can find picture of my individual students :)




Below is a picture of Allan's students and he is going to write about his class later! :)


This past weekend we went with the other Mayatan teachers to a "black tie" event in Santa Rosa, Honduras (about a 3 hour bus ride from Copan Ruinas). and by black tie I mean jeans and a button up shirt. It was called "Noche de los Fumadores" (night of the smokers) and upon arriving, each guest recieved a small goody bag with a bag of coffee and box of cigars. The night was just hilarious because it was a black tie event for Honduras, but the band was terrible, the power kept going out on the sound system, and the room was ridiculously full of cigar smoke, but it was a big deal! The president of one of the largest banks in Honduras spoke at it and all of the Peace Corps volunteers from Honduras were there. Below is a picture of Allan and me with our box of cigars.



There was a semi-stationary parade the next day in Santa Rosa. and by parade I mean 6 different marching bands and a couple different trucks and 18-wheelers with people sitting in the back. and by semi-stationary I mean that this parade would move forward and then stop so the marching band could play for 15-20 minutes in the SAME place. Thats right, the marching bands only marched when they were not playing their instruments. Muy interasante.




This is one of the "floats" in the parade. This float made the mistake of giving away free purses/bag type things. People were going crazy! Chasing this "float" and trying to climb on and get a free bag. Wow!


On Sunday we had a night of music at one of the other teacher's homes who lives on the road pictured in a previous blog where they are doing all of the road work that caused us to be out of school for 3 days. (AKA MUDDY!)Well, it rained while we were there. We wore our flip-flops. Bad idea. So she suggested we tie plastic bags on our feet. Good idea. and it looked cool. :)


Some cows broke into the school grounds last week. We caught them in the front eating some grass. Our good friend Jose (4th grader, who helped with the mice) helped get them out by throwing rocks at them. It worked! Below is a picture of them leaving Mayatan. I think they just wanted to learn how to say Moo in English. :)



Well, I think that kinda catches up the blog for the past week. We so much cherish your prayers. I know this is where the Lord wants me but it is hard at times. Keep praying! Also, thank you to any teachers out there. I didn't realize how hard of a job you have! We love y'all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you updated the blog. It's like the weekly TV show or maybe more like soap opera that I can't wait on the next adventure. Yeah for getting through the first week. I doubt if it will ever be any harder. Loved the plastic bags. I keep them in my car in Charleston because I have had to put them on to wade in from the parking lot at the VA. For some reason our lot is below sea level and the only spots left to park are in calf deep water. At least we don't have mud. Abby,your class is adroable and I can see how you must already love them. Allan you look great on your birthday. We miss you and are so proud of the work you are doing. I know you are smart, but you will have to constantly keep thinking out of the box to find ways to make the students interested and want to learn. You both can do it. Love MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby Hill! I am so proud of you and Allan, and I know you are learning alot and having a blast. Wanted to let you know I am thinking of you both and enjoy seeing all the pictures and hearing about what you are doing. Your class is so adorable! I would want to play all day and not get any work done. Love you:) Bopper

    ReplyDelete